Lonmin Platinum mine's work attendance has decreased to a 7.7 percent average across all shafts on Wednesday, the company said in a statement.
“We understand that employees are waiting for the environment to be safe before returning to work,” it said in a statement.
“We also expect that employees are waiting for the outcome of the peace accord meeting. There has been no increase in intimidation this morning. No incidents of violence have been reported.”
On Tuesday attendance at the mine was at eight percent.
Department of labour officials, Lonmin management and four unions were meeting in the Rustenburg Civic Centre on Wednesday. The meeting started at 10am and was held behind closed doors.
Lonmin said the signing of a peace accord is considered the first step of the resolution process and will provide all parties with a framework within which agenda items like wages could be discussed.
“Many hours of meetings, time and energy, has preceded this meeting today and we are hopeful that the outputs will be ratified by all. We can then stabilise our operation and move forward,” the company said.
The company said regarding the 260 men arrested at the mine, a decision regarding dismissals or disciplinary procedures will be made after court procedures.
Workers at the world's third-largest platinum producer went on strike earlier this month, demanding a monthly salary of R12,500. They have vowed not to return to work until their demand is met.
The strike turned violent and 34 mineworkers were killed on August 16, in a confrontation with the police. Ten people including two policemen and two security guards, were killed between August 10 and 12. - Sapa