Rustenburg - The average attendance at Lonmin Platinum mine was at two percent across all shafts on Friday morning, ahead of the burials of some of the miners killed during violent protests.
The company said in a statement they expect the numbers to increase on Monday.
“The Peace Accord requests that employees return to work on Monday 10 September 2012.”
The parties to the accord included unions Solidarity, Uasa, and the National Union of Mineworkers, the department of labour, and Lonmin.
The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) and Marikana workers' representatives did not sign the accord.
The accord levelled the ground for wage negotiations. It also included a commitment to create a peaceful work environment.
On Thursday night, busses and minibus taxis arrived at the Nkaneng squatter camp in Wonderkop to transport striking miners to the Eastern Cape and Lesotho to bury the last batch of their colleagues.
They had vowed not to heed the call to return to work after the peace accord was signed, and said they would march to Lonmin's Karee mine, also in the North West, on Monday to ensure none of their colleagues were at work.
Lonmin on Thursday said it had agreed together with the unions to invite Amcu and the workers' representatives to participate in wage negotiations.
The wage talks would be facilitated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation, and Arbitration.
The miners are demanding a R12 500 wage increase across the board.
At least 34 people were killed at Wonderkop during a clash with police last month. Ten others were killed in the preceding week. - Sapa