Johannesburg - The Public Protector's office has not completed an investigation into maladministration in the SA Post Office (Sapo) almost two years after the complaint was lodged, the Communication Workers' Union (CWU) said on Thursday.
CWU spokesman Matankana Mothapo said it had yet to receive feedback from the Public Protector after requesting an investigation in April 2011.
The union had previously criticised Thuli Madonsela's office for not acting rapidly on the matter.
“This attitude towards CWU by the Public Protector smacks of pomposity and sabotage, in our view, and does a disservice to CWU and the people of South Africa since the Post Office is a state-owned company created to serve the South African populace,” said Mothapo.
In July 2012, Madonsela said she had almost concluded the investigation and would present her findings in September.
Madonsela spokesman Oupa Segalwe said on Thursday that setbacks had prevented the completion of the report on time.
“There was a delay in terms of obtaining crucial information from the Sapo... (as) there was a change of guard at Sapo sometime last year, with a new chairperson being appointed.
“As a result, we got the information we needed only in November 2012,” he said.
Segalwe said the investigation was now complete and the report was being prepared.
He did not say when the report would be finalised and submitted to the CWU, but said the Protector's office had communicated with the union about the matter. - Sapa