London - A woman narrowly escaped serious injury after she woke up to find her mobile phone had caught fire while charging.

Holly Hewett was woken by a “sizzling sound” and the smell of burning.

She looked down and saw her Samsung Galaxy S4 smouldering as it charged on the carpeted floor. At the risk of being burnt, she grabbed the smartphone, ran to the bathroom and threw it in the sink.

The 25-year-old said: “I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before.

“It had only been charging for about 50 minutes. Even though it was dark I could smell the smoke.

“I picked it up and the screen sparked. As I walked to the bathroom the battery fell out of the casing at the back onto the floor. I didn’t burn myself but there’s a hole in the carpet where it scorched it.”

This is not the first time Samsung products have apparently set alight – last year a man posted a video on YouTube showing the damage to his Samsung Galaxy S4 when it caught fire while charging. He also claimed Samsung ordered him to remove the footage before they would replace it.

A Samsung spokesman said: “Once we have received the product in question, we will conduct a thorough examination to determine the exact cause of the incident. We would like to assure our customers that we employ robust quality controls to ensure the safety of our products.” - Daily Mail