FNB took out full-page advertisements in four national newspapers yesterday in the aftermath of the ANC’s criticism of its “You Can Help” campaign.
The adverts, published in the Sunday Times, City Press, The Sunday Independent and Rapport, are written to look like a poem, in five stanzas, each beginning with the line: “We help because we believe”. It concludes, in bold type: “We help because we believe where there’s help, there’s a way.”
The Sunday Times reported that FirstRand chief executive Sizwe Nxasana had sent a text to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga last Monday after a child called her “brainless” in one video.
“Good morning minister. I have instructed FNB to remove the video clips from their website this morning. I will investigate how and why the clips ended [up] on their website. Sincere apologies for this. Sizwe,” the text read.
SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Neren Rau told City Press that the fallout between FNB and the ANC was a sign of tension between the government and business.
He said business had difficulty reading signals from the government. “It is difficult to know what we should do. We are told to be more outspoken, but when we are, we are criticised,” he was quoted as saying. “I didn’t see the advert. I don’t think FNB would have done it to cause tensions. They were responding to the call [for business] to be more outspoken.”
The FNB campaign features videos of school children reading their hopes for the country.
Opposition parties and activist groups said the ANC’s criticism of the campaign showed its intolerance.
FNB met with ANC leaders, including secretary general Gwede Mantashe, last Thursday. The bank apologised to the ANC on Friday, a move that met with disapproval on social media sites over the weekend.
University of Free State vice-chancellor Jonathan Jansen wrote on Facebook: “I am deeply disappointed by FNB running to apologise/explain to a political party for airing the voices of children. Does FNB realise how much blood was spilt for the right to say what you think? I fear for my country.”
DA leader Helen Zille tweeted: “Saying that #FNB caved in order to protect the kids in the advert is a more devastating statement on the ANC govt than anything the ad said.”
Former DA leader Tony Leon tweeted: “The ANC must be laughing all the way to the bank” while City Press editor Ferial Haffajee tweeted: “I wonder when we who get bullied say so far and no more? Not a good feeling at all.”
FNB chief executive Michael Jordaan said he would not resign.