Johannesburg - The Johannesburg Labour Court dismissed an application by MTN executive Robert Madzonga on Friday to have his suspension lifted, the company said.
“Madzonga, remains suspended pending an internal investigation into allegations of misconduct and irregularities against him,” it said in a statement.
“Though Mr Madzonga has been suspended, no charges have been laid against him.”
According to MTN, Madzonga, a corporate services executive, said in his application that MTN decided to suspend him after he lodged a grievance against three of its executives.
He also attributed his suspension to allegations of misconduct against him for which he received a warning in 2011. He argued that he was therefore protected by the defence of double jeopardy.
MTN argued that “his continued presence in the workplace could cause instability and jeopardise on-going investigations against him”.
It was reported on August 19 that Madzonga was suspended allegedly over his role in the diversion of sponsorship funds for the ICT indaba.
Madzonga was accused of receiving some of the money paid to former communications minister Dina Pule's boyfriend Phosa Mngqibisa, as a management fee for the indaba last year.
MTN confirmed the suspension at the time but gave no details, saying it was “not in a position to divulge the nature of these internal matters...”
Pule was suspended by Parliament for the scandal that saw her boyfriend benefit from state funding. Speaker Max Sisulu told Pule she betrayed her oath of office and brought Parliament into disrepute.
Pule was sacked from her portfolio in a Cabinet reshuffle in July.