Johannesburg - The Communication Workers Union's dispute with the SA Post Office is not over, the union said on Friday.
“We would like to put on record that our dispute with the SA Post Office over several issues, key to them being salary increments, remains in force,” general secretary Thabo Mogalane told journalists in Johannesburg.
Members of the CWU had been on strike over salary increases at post office branches countrywide.
The strike ended on Wednesday. A mediation process was agreed upon by the parties to resolve the dispute within four weeks.
Mogalane said the union was dismayed and felt betrayed by the employer for recognising a task team as a bargaining agent.
The task team was dealing with the issue of converting casual workers into full-time employment.
“This is done whereas there is a recognised union. This is a clear sign that management is undermining structures and process agreed to with organised labour,” he said.
The union's deputy president, Clyde Mervin, said workers would down tools again if there was no resolution within four weeks.
The union welcomed President Jacob Zuma's announcement that the Special Investigating Unit would probe alleged serious maladministration, improper conduct by Sapo officials, and unlawful appropriation or spending of public money.
Other allegations to be probed included malpractice, damage to public property, management of immovable property, and loans granted to the Courier and Freight Group (Pty) Limited. - Sapa