Advertisement
X

Nhleko denies being asked to lead Anglo

Former MTN chief executive Phuthuma Nhleko has disputed a Sunday Times report claiming he is a “front-runner” for the position of Anglo American chief executive.

The Sunday Times quoted an unnamed source yesterday saying Anglo’s board “is said to be considering Mr Nhleko... as a replacement for Cynthia Carroll”, who resigned last month after six years in the position.

Nhleko, who led Africa’s largest cellular network operator for nine years, said: “This speculation is unfounded. The Anglo American board, of which I am a member, has not engaged with me in any such discussions.”

Nhleko, 51, became a non-executive director of Anglo in March last year. He holds mining interests through the Pembani Group. – Asha Speckman

SHOW ALL
Advertisement