Post Office strike overComment on this story
Johannesburg - A strike by workers at the SA Post Office (Sapo) has been resolved, Sapo said on Wednesday.
“The SA Post Office and representatives of the striking workers signed an agreement at the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) yesterday,” said Sapo spokesman Johan Kruger said in a statement.
Kruger said workers returned to work on Wednesday and that mail processing continued normally. He said the company would introduce night shifts to speed up mail delivery.
It expected to deliver most of the backlog within two weeks, Kruger said.
Group executive at the Sapo's corporate services, Lungile Lose, commended the parties involved for a speedy resolution.
“The SA Post Office would like to thank its clients for their understanding and patience during the strike.”
Workers went on an illegal strike on January 27. Kruger said the principle of no work, no pay applied.
He said less than 100 workers in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal were still striking.
They were employed in the mail sorting centres.
Earlier this month, President Jacob Zuma signed a proclamation directing the Special Investigating Unit to investigate “serious maladministration in connection with the affairs of Sapo, improper or unlawful conduct by the officials of Sapo and unlawful appropriation or expenditure of public money,” spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement at the time.
Other allegations to be investigated included maladministration of immovable property, intentional or negligent loss of public money, damage to public property, the implementation of the WebRipost system, and loans granted to Courier and Freight Group (Pty) Limited, Maharaj said. - Sapa