Some backlogs of mail delivery due to an illegal strike by some employees in Gauteng have been resolved, according to the SA Post Office (Sapo).
The strike entered its second week last week as workers stationed at the Witspos and Tshwane mail hubs failed to deliver parcels and letters to the various post office branches.
Janras Kotsi, the group executive of mail business at Sapo, said on Friday: “We are not in a position to provide details of contingency plans, but mail has started to move in the affected areas, proving that there is progress and plans are bearing fruit.”
However, a resident of Bryanston complained on Friday that his local post office was still not delivering post. An employee at the Bryanston post office confirmed that the mail service had not been restored.
Kotsi said the group of non-unionised employees had downed tools as a “result of misinformation by some staff members whose intention is to extort money from unsuspecting employees”.
Sapo has requested the workers to return to work immediately. – Asha Speckman