Talks underway at chrome mineComment on this story
Johannesburg - Talks to end an illegal strike by miners at Lanxess chrome mine in Rustenburg were underway, the company said on Tuesday.
“(Lanxess) is seeking a constructive dialogue with the employees and the NUM (National Union of Mineworkers) in order to reach a solution,” mine spokeswoman Sibonile Dube said.
“Discussions with the NUM have just begun.”
Earlier on Monday, 10 illegal strikers at the mine were wounded when mine security fired rubber bullets at them.
North West police said the group gathered at the mine early in the morning and confronted security personnel, who responded by firing rubber bullets.
Dube said site management tried to speak to the group when they were attacked.
“A large group of employees attacked the management and the accompanying team of security guards in a very aggressive manner with stones.”
Brigadier Thulane Ngubane said the 10 wounded workers were taken to a mine hospital for medical care.
Miners wanted an annual performance increase which they claim was approved by the company's head office in London in 2011.
Ngubane said mineworkers were gathered near the mine to hear the outcome of the meeting. Police were monitoring the situation.
Ngubane said the miners were not armed and no arrests had been made. - Sapa