Employers in the motor vehicle industry have not made any concrete offer to striking workers, the National Union of Metalworkers of SA said on Wednesday.
“We have been talking, but no concrete offer has been forthcoming from the employers. The strike continues,” Numsa general secretary Irvin Jim said.
About 31,000 Numsa-aligned workers downed tools on Monday after pay talks deadlocked last month.
The workers demanded a 14 percent across-the-board wage increase. They also wanted a R750 monthly housing subsidy and R125
weekly transport allowance.
The employers, who include VW, Toyota, BMW, Nissan, UD Trucks, and MAN Truck and Bus, tabled a six percent offer.
Wages in the sector ranged from about R8500 a month for basic workers to R18,000 a month for qualified technicians, according to the union.
Numsa was planning marches to various employers next week.
“The preparations for the marches are going well, everything is on track,” said Jim.
Production had stopped at factories in Pretoria, where the industry was concentrated, and in Durban, Port Elizabeth, and East London, the union said.
National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (Naamsa) spokesman Thapelo Molapo was not available for comment. -Sapa