Advertisement
X

Search for illegal miner resumes

Johannesburg - Johannesburg emergency services have resumed the search for an illegal miner who was trapped in an old mine shaft in Durban Deep, Roodepoort, on Monday.

“Operations resumed at 10am on Monday morning,” said emergency services spokesman Robert Mulaudzi.

(File photo) Photo: Reuters. Credit: REUTERS

“We actually had to come up with another way to move, so we will see how far we can go in terms of rescuing the illegal miner,” he said.

He and four other illegal miners entered the mine, near Dobsonville, through an unused shaft that had been cordoned off. He was trapped on Thursday. The others got to the surface.

Rescue workers covered a distance of three kilometres underground, but suspended the search on Friday, after 16-hours, because he area they were working in was getting smaller and more unsafe.

At the time, Mulaudzi said the area was dangerous because of falling rock. - Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement