Insure your car, home and valuables with iWYZE
RETIRED Proteas wicketkeeper Mark Boucher’s three-hour eye surgery at a Cape Town clinic yesterday was a success, doctors say.
Boucher underwent his second operation since the freak accident last Monday when he was hit in his left eye by a bail after a delivery from Proteas leg-spinner Imran Tahir during the team’s England tour.
Yesterday’s operation was to remove blood from between the lens and the retina, his vitreous.
In a statement yesterday, Cricket SA’s medical team said: “There were no complications, no bleeding... The important parts of the retina were intact, confirming previous findings. The blood which accumulated during the trauma was removed. The outcome looks very positive and the surgeon is pleased with the procedure.”
Cricket SA requested privacy for the cricketer who is set to undergo numerous other procedures in the next few months.
After the accident, Boucher announced his retirement from a 15-year, record-setting career in international cricket. He would have retired at the end of the England tour.
Hours before his operation, he tweeted: “Anxious day tomorrow. Operation, Proteas vs England …please may I wake up from my op with good news on all counts.” He also thanked people for their well-wishes on Twitter and said: “No other option other than being positive”.
Speaking after Boucher’s operation, chairman of Cricket SA’s medical committee, Dr Shuaib Manjra, said future procedures would depend on how well Boucher progresses and recovers. He previously described Boucher’s injury as “severe” but said there were positive signs as the “crucial” part of his eye, the retina, was not detached in the accident.