Cape Town -
A South African woman had been reported missing, feared caught up in the terrorist attack on Nairobi’s Westgate mall, said South Africa’s high commissioner to Kenya, Super Moloi.
Her relatives back home had reported her missing to the embassy on Monday.
Moloi could not release the woman’s name without her family’s permission.
He said embassy officials visited morgues and hospitals on Tuesday without finding her.
Moloi said there was likely to be certainty about the whereabouts of the woman and other South Africans when Kenyan authorities had combed through the debris.
The family told the embassy she had arrived in Nairobi on Friday or Saturday.
“We don’t want to take it for granted that she was caught up in the mall situation,” he said.
“At this point, we are classifying her as missing. At the moment we are not sure what is happening at the mall. There are still bodies in there, people being held and there is an ongoing operation by the police and the defence force.”
Moloi encouraged those travelling abroad to register with the Registration of South Africans Abroad programme, which allowed embassies to trace them in an emergency.
Moloi sent condolences to the family of James Thomas, 57, of Mowbray, who was in Nairobi on business when he was shot at the mall.
Five South Africans – a couple and a mother with two children – were rescued from the mall on Saturday and Sunday.