South African families who survived an armed attack on the Mozambican resort Casa Lisa on December 23, are yet to be contacted by police despite reports alleging that 12 men have been arrested in connection with the attack.
The Haywards, a Hillcrest family who have been staying in Ponta do Ouro since the attack, are doubtful as to whether this information is correct.
Talking to the Daily News on Monday, Tanya Hayward said they had opened a case with police, but had not heard any confirmed information about arrests being made.
The Erasmus family from Alberton, Gauteng, were also victims of the brutal attack on the resort 50km north of Maputo, where one South African was raped.
The Erasmus family were in their chalet when they were woken by screaming from outside. at about 1.30am. Andre Erasmus immediately locked the door.
The family had travelled to Mozambique a number of times previously and had stayed at the same lodge without incident. This trip, they were travelling with family friends who were staying in the neighbouring chalet.
“We heard them ransacking the… tent and then they moved to the chalets. My friend had opened the door, but I tried to lock ours. They smashed through our door with an axe and beat my wife and myself. I was stabbed in the shoulder, possibly with a screwdriver.”
Erasmus said about eight or nine men accosted his family, demanding money.
“I told them it was in the car so they ransacked the car, taking money, laptops, cellphones and iPads. We then heard shots fired and they left. If those shots weren’t fired I don’t know what would have happened.
Erasmus and his family drove about 10km until they came to a roadblock and managed to communicate to the police what had happened. The police returned with them to the lodge, where some of their items were recovered.
He said the language barrier proved an issue and no statements had been taken.