Durban - ANC comrades have accused the man charged in connection with the murder of the ANC eThekwini regional secretary, S’bu Sibiya, of using “delay tactics” in court.
The trial had been set down to begin at the Durban High Court yesterday, but instead this had to be adjourned as the accused, Xolani Zulu, had not paid his attorney.
This was according to eThekwini mayor and SACP chairman in KZN, James Nxumalo, who had been addressing ANC members outside court.
“We waited for about a year for this day, only to be told the accused has not paid his attorney. Since his last appearance, 10 months ago, he knew he was coming to court today, why didn’t he pay. These are just delaying tactics,” said Nxumalo.
Sibiya was shot dead at his home in Inanda on July 11 last year. On September 7, a shoot-out between the police and two men ended in the death of the alleged hit man, Zamani Sikhakhane, at a low-cost housing settlement in Welbedacht, near Chatsworth.
Nxumalo also accused police of failing to question Zulu properly because a conspiracy to murder charge involved more than one person, and to date there had been no further arrests in this regard.
“A conspiracy to murder a person involves planning, and it is clear that the accused did not act alone,” he said.
The ANC chairman in KZN, Sibongiseni Dhlomo, said perhaps Zulu was hoping that some state witnesses “get sick and die”.
“What he did today in court was disrespectful, it was disrespectful to the Sibiya family and the ANC.”
The trial is expected to begin on September 26.