Hilton’s power problems may be a thing of the past come Christmas.
The Msunduzi municipality on Thursday said that despite a one-month delay to operations aimed at upgrading Hilton’s power lines, work was on track to complete the process before Christmas.
A R15-million power line project started earlier this year to deal with the continual electricity problems in the area.
Over the past few years, irate residents have complained about daily power outages which have sometimes lasted up to a week, causing major financial losses and destroying start-up businesses.
Msunduzi spokesman Brian Zuma said that the clearing of bushes and big trees to upgrade the lines took two months instead of the estimated one month.
However, he said that with tireless efforts, the upgrade was now on track.
“The servitude has been cleared, and what will happen is the one line – that is 60 percent complete – will be completed and the other line will be dropped down and the new line put up. By the second week of December, all this work will be completed, and people will have a good, upgraded power line in terms of supply to Hilton,” he said. – Pietermaritzburg Bureau