A South African held in Sudan since last month arrived home on Tuesday.
Thabo Siavhe was welcomed by his family as he arrived at Johannesburg’s O R Tambo International Airport.
“I am so happy to be back, I just want to be with my family now,” an emotional Siavhe said.
He was one of four foreigners arrested in Sudan’s disputed border area with South Sudan. Their release was announced on Sunday.
Mediation talks led by former South African president, Thabo Mbeki, in Khartoum, paved the way for their freedom.
At the time of their arrest, Khartoum accused the four of “suspicious activities” in the disputed area of Heglig.
The UN said the group, which also included a UN employee and two staff members of the South African demining group, Mechem, was working on a UN-backed demining (locating and disabling landmines) assessment 145km away.
South Sudan separated from the north in 2011, but serious disputes over oil exports and border demarcation remain. – Sapa