Addis Ababa - Sudan and South Sudan are due to restart AU-led talks in Ethiopia on Tuesday in the first face-to-face meeting since bitter border fighting took the foes to the brink of all-out war.
International pressure has pushed both sides to return to the long-running talks stalled by fighting last month, when Southern troops seized an oil field from Khartoum’s troops for 10 days as Sudan launched repeated air strikes.
Tensions remain high, but Southern President Salva Kiir stressed that “amicable dialogue on the outstanding issues with Khartoum is the only option for peace”.
Khartoum's foreign ministry has said it will attend the talks and discuss a UN Security Council resolution that they resume dialogue on “critical” issues unresolved after the South gained independence last year.
However, Khartoum on Sunday said it had complained to the UN Security Council over alleged “aggression” by the South, including alleged cross-border incursions, which it said broke a UN order to halt hostilities.
Juba has accused Khartoum of continued air strikes on its territory.
AU mediator and former South African president Thabo Mbeki has been shuttling between the two capitals in bid to ensure both sides attend the talks, which have already slipped from a UN Security Council May 16 deadline to start. -