* “For those who may ask what they can do to honour Neil, we have a simple request. Honour his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the Moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.” – Armstrong’s family.
* “Neil was among the greatest of American heroes – not just of his time, but of all time. When he and his fellow crew members lifted off aboard Apollo 11 in 1969, they carried with them the aspirations of an entire nation. They set out to show the world that the American spirit can see beyond what seems unimaginable – that with enough drive and ingenuity, anything is possible. And when Neil stepped foot on the surface of the Moon for the first time, he delivered a moment of human achievement that will never be forgotten.” – President Barack Obama.
* “When I think of Neil, I think of someone who for our country was dedicated enough to dare greatly.” – John Glenn, the first American to orbit Earth and Armstrong’s close friend.
* “He was the best, and I will miss him terribly.” – Michael Collins, who flew to the Moon with Armstrong and served as the command module pilot.
* “On behalf of the Aldrin family we extend our deepest condolences to Carol and the entire Armstrong family on Neil’s passing. He will be missed.” – Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin, second man on the Moon, via Twitter.
* “RIP Neil Armstrong. Thank you for everything, for your sacrifices, achievements, and inspiration. We will try to carry on your legacy.” – Bobak Ferdowsi, flight director on the current Mars Curiosity mission. – Sapa-AP