Johannesburg - For the first time ordinary citizens will get a chance to vote to choose the new Miss South, organisers of the national beauty pageant said on Tuesday.
“For the first time in the history of the Miss South Africa pageant, license owners Sun International, in collaboration with Cell C, invite members of the public to vote for their favourite Semi-Finalist and propel her into the Top 12 and they will then be able to vote for which girl they believe should wear the Miss South Africa crown,” organisers said in a statement.
Twenty six semi-finalists, who are vying for the coveted title of Miss South Africa 2017, were announced earlier this year.
The semi-finalists will compete for the prestigious title at the Sun City Superbowl next year on 26 March.
The event will be televised live. “First phase of the public voting opens at 00:01 on Tuesday, November 15, 2016, and runs until Friday, January 13, 2017 at 23:59:59. During phase one, the Semi-Finalist who receives the most public votes will automatically become one of the Top 12 Miss South Africa 2017 Finalists,” said the organisers.
“When users click on a Semi-Finalist's image, they will see a short biography and be given the Semi-Finalist's unique number which has been allocated to her based on the alphabetical order of her first name. The public can then SMS the number of their favourite Top 26 Semi-Finalist to the short code number 45791.”
A member of the public may vote for more than one of the Top 26 Semi-Finalists and is allowed a maximum of 50 votes per Semi-Finalist.
The competition is open to all active mobile network customers across all mobile networks.
Organisers said each SMS will cost R1.50. Proceeds from the competition will benefit the Cell C Girl Child Bursary Fund, which in partnership with Tomorrow Trust provides tertiary education and training for qualifying girl learners from disadvantaged backgrounds.
“The second round of public voting is scheduled to open in February 2017 when the Top 12 Miss SA 2017 Finalists are announced. The public will then be voting for their favourite Finalist,” said Organisers.
“The public's SMS votes will have a 25 percent weighting of the overall voting towards the winner, with 75 percent resting with the official judges.”
The winner of the pageant will receive a variety of prizes that include a one million rand cash component.
Voters stand a chance of winning double VIP tickets to attend the Miss SA Pageant (including accommodation at Sun City).
The Miss South Africa 2017 Semi-Finalists include:
- Ade van Heerden, Herold's Bay, Western Cape
- Boipelo Mabe, Alexandra, Gauteng
- Callie-Jo Bouman, Bellville, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Chante Holloway, Atlantis, Western Cape
- Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, Sedgefield, Western Cape
- Devoney Crossman, Greenstone, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Iman Mkwanazi, Lenasia, Gauteng
- Jessica Tovey, Randparkridge, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Kayla Malherbe, Mtunzini, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Keipeile Dintoe, Saulsville, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Lou-Marie Taljaard, Bellville, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Michelle Kruger, Witbank, Mpumalanga
- Milanie Cilliers, Mokopane, Limpopo
- Nicole van Niekerk, Moregloed, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Nompumelelo Mampholo, Diepkloof, Soweto, Gauteng
- Ntombikayise Msimango, Springs, Gauteng
- Odirile Sepeng, Mabopane, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Olin-Shae de la Cruz, Claremont, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Priyeshka Lutchman, Yellowwood Park, Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Saskia Wagner, Honeydew, Gauteng
- Shane Naidoo, Benoni, Gauteng
- Shelbe Pretorius, Pinehaven, Krugersdorp, Gauteng
- Shenai Bridglall - Port Shepstone, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Tshegofatso Monggae, Dobsonville, Soweto, Gauteng
- Yuta Raubenheimer, Kameeldrift, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Zozibini Tunzi, East London/Tsolo, Eastern Cape