• David Kau’s Here to Make You Laugh and the G7 band at Cheyenne Saloon, Carousel Casino, Old Warmbaths Rd, Babelegi. 8pm. R50 at Computicket. Tel 012 718 7777. And tomorrow.
• Cassper Nyovest, Chad Da Don, Hunose, Cheezeboy, Tyga and Ado at Blue Room Hatfield, cnr Festival and Arcadia sts, Hatfield. Tel: 072 436 5949.
• Dr Victor and the Rasta Rebels at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R120. 8.30pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• The Best of Kirk Whalum with John Stoddart at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown Arts Precinct. R250 to R325 at Computicket. 8.30pm. Tel: 011 838 9145/6.
• 969 Festival at Wits University, 1 Jan Smuts Ave, Braamfontein. R50 at www.webtickets.co.za, R60 at the door, students, pensioners R40. 6.30pm.
• Music at Meet on Milner, cnr Long Ave and Milner St, Waterkloof. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 083 627 8172 or [email protected]
• The Very Wicked, Bye Beneco and The Moths at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. 8pm. R50 before 10pm, R60 thereafter. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• Trancemusicsoul, Dank, Kriger, Andrew The DJ and Vox Portent at Kitchener’s Carvery Bar, 5 De Beer St, Braamfontein. 7pm. R50. E-mail andrew [email protected] Tel: 011 4030166.
• Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East, presents Felix LaBand, Rudeone, Veranda Panda, Liver and many more. R60 before 9pm, R80 thereafter. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Metal Xmas in July with State Dependency, Empyrean War, Revenge on Murphy, My Columbine, I Become, Nighthawk and more at Rumours Lounge, shop 20, Palm Court, Cornelius St, Weltevreden Park. 3pm. R40. Tel: 082 208 0324.
• Karmon, 2lani, Pimp Squad, Reezo Hassan, Metro Ticket, Chak Besh, Manuel Le Saux, Lostly, Chris Hampshire and many more at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. R80 at www.webtickets.co.za, R120 at the door. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Gokon Rave, Emoutikon, A33 feat. Tan, George Daniel, RudeOne, BenSon, Bionic, Double Story, Nick grater, Sebotage and many more at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. Various prices. Book at www.webtickets.co.za. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• The Best of Kirk Whalum with John Stoddart in the Old Mutual Music in the Gardens at the Botanical Gardens, 2 Cussonia Ave, Pretoria. Gates open 11am. R275 at Computicket.
• Morayks’s official album launch with traditional Afro-jazz artists including Vusi Mahlasela at Matthews Hall, Unisa, Muckleneuk, Preller St, Muckleneuk. 1.30pm for 3pm. R150 to R250 VIP at Computicket. Tel: 012 429 3111 or 011 483 1871.
• Mike Rowe and Ko-Ko with Sez Adamson at Saloon Route 66, Hartbees-hoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 10am to 3pm. Tel 083 372 8118 , 083 261 2602.
• Live music at Capeesh? Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn. 7pm. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Blues Society at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R40. 8.30pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Prince Lengoasa at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R50 at the door, R20 students with student card. 8pm. Tel: 011 838 9145/6.
• Jonathan Crossley at Pierneef Theatre, cnr Mogg and Pierneef aves, Deerness. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 329 0709.
• Philip Moolman at Casa Toscana, 5 Darlington Rd, Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria East. R300. 8pm. Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Lonehill Estate and Howie Combrink at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Reggae with Jah-Seed and Admiral at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. 9pm. R100. Tel: 011 838 9145.
GIG OF THE WEEK
REALLY GOOD WEEKENDS WITH MAFIKIZOLO
Emperors Palace (Sunday)
THE REALLY Good Weekends Festival is exactly what the name suggests, it’s really good. Brought to you by Emperors Palace and Phumzz Events and Projects, the Really Good Weekends will bring you one of the country’s top bands, Mafikizolo.
You’ll have to brave the winter weather to see this Afro-pop band do what they do best. Although the young ones might know only their latest tracks, Khona and Happy, Mafikizolo has been in the game for so long they have a discography that could last them a day or two onstage. So it will be interesting to see which songs the will perform.
Their sound has grown over the years and you will experience the different periods of their career. In their early days they performed mellow music like the classic Emlanjeni. They would, at times, make you dance with slightly more uptempo hits like Ndihamba Nawe. But given their newfound sound that is fused with West African influences, Mafikizolo
will definitely close the show with Khona, a song that has taken them as far as Los Angeles, as nominees for the BET Awards.
Really Good Weekends is a musical showcase that targets mature, urban music enthusiasts who love live performances by award-winning artists in a relaxed environment.
The show boasts unmatched production quality and for R80 a person (with free entry for children under the age of 12) you can decide if this is true.
There will also be amusement park rides for R25 a ride. The festival will open today from 4pm, tomorrow from 11am and on Sunday from 10am.
– Munyaradzi Vomo
• Bookings can be made through the Emperors Palace box office at 011 928 1297/1213 or at www.emperorspalace.com or www.computicket.com.