Marie Claire’s annual Naked issue, which went on sale this week, is once again set to raise eyebrows for a good cause.
In its biggest Naked campaign yet, Marie Claire asked 31 celebrities to show nothing but their skin. Featuring Jack Parow and Jenna Pietersen on the cover, this year’s campaign is in support of the Burn Foundation Southern Africa’s educational programmes and outreach to burn survivors.
“This campaign allows celebs to feel the vulnerability a burn survivor feels all their life by baring all for all to see,” says Burn Foundation Southern Africa executive director Bianca Annandale.
“Scars are never just skin deep, they imprint on our psyches as well, but that does not change the fact that beneath the scars there is a person like everyone else. This campaign will hopefully raise awareness that we should not allow our perceptions to be taken at face value, we should take a few moments to look further and see one another for who we are and not as we look.”
Celebs taking part in the campaign include:
* Afrikaans rapper Jack Parow and Jenna Pietersen
* Pop duo Andrew and Brian Chaplin from Locnville
* Comedians Trevor Gumbi, David Levinsohn and Joey Rasdien
* Rockers Louis Roux, Jacques Moolman and Isaac Klawansky from Shadowclub
* Kim Schulze from 5fm and her fiancé, Mike Sharman, owner of digital communications agency Retroviral
* Francois Hougaard, Springbok scrumhalf
* Lulu Mlangeni and Dada Masilo from The Dance Umbrella
* Surfer couple Lyndall Jarvis and Jordy Smith.
“The annual estimate of deaths from fire in SA is between 3 000 and 4 000 people,” says Aspasia Karras, Marie Claire’s editor. “Apart from people losing their lives there are also many more who suffer emotionally from the trauma and the physical scars left by fire. We hope that through this campaign people will be motivated to support the Burn Foundation Southern Africa in their efforts.”
Marie Claire will be hosting a cocktail party in Johannesburg on Wednesday where a donation will be made to the Burn Foundation Southern Africa. Readers are encouraged to show their support either by making a financial donation to the Burn Foundation or by volunteering to assist the foundation in their efforts. For more information, go to www.burnfoundation.org.za/sponsor.
* Cover star Jack Parow and Jenna Pietersen photographed by Jesse-Leigh Elford/Infidels. - Saturday Star