Have you ever wanted to explore the world of whisky but not been sure about what kind of cocktail to try? With summer kicking in, cocktails - and cocktail parties - are inevitable.
Lots of otherwise-rational whisky drinkers sadly abandon their spirit of choice when the temperature begins to rise. We call nonsense! After all, you don't have to wait for autumn to have a dram: There are plenty of refreshing cocktails made with bourbon, rye and even Scotch.
Here are some of our favourite summer whisky elixirs to make the next time the thermometer starts climbing.
* Manhattan Cocktail - Traditionally rye Whisky (sometimes bourbon is used), bitters and sweet vermouth, this sophisticated cocktail is a great introduction to the world of Whisky.
* Forbidden sour - We aren't exactly sure what's forbidden about this cocktail, but it is certainly easy to mix up. And you'll definitely enjoy the tart bourbon, pomegranate and lemon combo on a hazy, hot and humid December day.
* How do you make Scotch a refreshing hot-weather drink? Simply add Whisky, ginger ale, club soda and a lemon twist, the Presbyterian cocktail is light and approachable. The fizzy concoction is thirst-quenching but also showcases the complex flavour of the whisky. (The recipe also works with bourbon or rye.) Choose a light blended Whisky for this cocktail.
* Grapefruit juice probably isn't the first thing you'd think to pair with single malt Scotch, but it makes this sophisticated twist on the classic Blood and Sand just that much more summery. Try a Tart n' Sand.
* John Collins - Imagine a Whisky sour with club soda and you've got the John Collins. Unsure of whether to order a Tom Collins or a John Collins at the bar? Specify the liquor and collins and the bartender will understand you just fine (i.e. Whisky collins).
Come and learn to whip up a whisky cocktail at the Schweppes Art of Whisky Cocktail Making Zone at this year's FNB Whisky Live Festival.
FNB Whisky Live Festival Facts
The annual FNB Whisky Live Festival return for its 10th Anniversary to The Cape Town International Convention Centre from the 3rd - 5th October 2012 (18h00 to 22h00 daily), the International Convention Centre Durban from the 1st - 2nd November 2012 (18h00 to 22h00 daily), and the Sandton Convention Centre from the 7th - 9th November (18h00 - 22h00 daily) for its showcase of whiskies from around the world.
A variety of ticket options are available for purchase via the website - www.whiskylivefestival.co.za. The organisers suggest you book early to avoid disappointment. There will also be deli-style food available to complete your “great night out” experience.
For more information please visit the website or e-mail [email protected]
Please follow us on Twitter @WhiskyLiveSA and Facebook.com/FNBWhiskyLiveFestival
The FNB Whisky Live Festival promotes responsible drinking. No persons under the age of 18 years old will be allowed into the Tasting Hall. Designated driver tickets are available with discounted food vouchers and a bottle of Valpré mineral water included in the ticket price. Various chauffeur drive services and drive responsibly initiatives will be on hand to ensure that everyone in your party is able to have a good time. Part of the ticket proceeds will continue to be donated to The Foundation for Alcohol Related Research.