Surf and Turf
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 c soy sauce 6 cloves garlic crushed
1 T freshly grated ginger
¼ c coriander chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
2 T honey or brown sugar
1 t chili flakes
2 t white sesame seeds
½ c sesame oil
Surf and turf
2kg beef fillet (centre cut)
1 kg calamari, whole
60 g butter
4 cloves garlic
1 T freshly grated ginger plus 1 t extra
salt and pepper
1/4 c coriander chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 c good quality beef stock
Garnish with coriander
1. For the marinade: whisk the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Stir in the sesame oil.
3. Using cocktail sticks pin the bottom of the meat to creating a round shape (quicker than to truss with a roasting string). If nicely round cut may not need to do this.
4. Place the meat in a freezer bag and pour the two thirds of marinade over it, gently rubbing the meat. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C. Shake off the marinade juice from the meat and pat dry it gently. Rest it for 5 minutes to come to room temperature.
6. Heat a non-stick frying pan or flat griddle until hot and sear/seal it for 1½ minutes each side.
7. Place on a baking tray, drizzled with oil and roast for 5-8 minutes medium rare. Remove, place on a board and cover with foil allowing to rest for 10 minutes. Keeping the juices in the pan
9. Heat the butter over high heat in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic and ginger. Add the calamari and cook for 2 minutes until the legs curl up and cooked. Season with salt and pepper
10. Remove from heat and stir in the coriander and squeeze of a lemon. Remove calamari to plate and cover to keep warm
12. To make a sauce, into the calamari pan – add the meat juices. Add the remaining marinade and cook for 8 minutes.
13. Pour in the stock and simmer until slightly reduced.
14. Grate in 1 teaspoon more ginger and strain through a sieve to serving jug.
15. Carve the fillet and arrange on a board, put the calamari on the board, garnish with coriander, serve with the gravy alongside.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20- 25 minutes
3 cups sushi rice
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
1 T rice wine vinegar
2 T black sesame seeds
Micro herbs to garnish
1. Place the rice and salted water in a pot and bring to the boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked and all the water has evaporated.
3. Cool down, not so long about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the vinegar. Transfer into a large round dish. Tip the rice in.
4. Press down with your hands dipped in water to prevent the rice from sticking. its best served warm or at room temp than chilled since its goes with the meat and calamari – which are served warm or at room temp. Tip into a platter or flat serving dish and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Garnish with microherbs.