If you must get a hangover...Comment on this story
Cape Town - ’Tis the season to be jolly!
Every night feels like a Friday night and every day like a long lazy Sunday afternoon. But with all the partying, every morning can feel like a Saturday morning after a night on the town.
When you’re out having a good time and those caramel vodka shots are oh so yummy that you just have to have another one, the last thing on your mind is the dreaded “babalas” (hangover) that you’ll be waking up with the next morning.
Never mind how you wake up feeling, looking like death warmed up ain’t pleasant on the eye of the beholder you dragged home the night before!
Check out our hangover cheat sheet now and avoid the nauseous, achy, puffy-eyed grief in the morning.
Before the party
* If you know you’re going to be heading out for a fat jol (party) the evening, make sure you eat a good lunch, preferably with water-rich fruits, veggies, salmon, roasted nuts and plenty of water.
* Moisturise your under-eye area now – this will make wrinkles and puffiness less pronounced later.
At the party
* While an ice-cold beer and chilled glass of champagne may look tempting, opt instead for cocktails mixed with soda water. You’ll be getting a bit more water, which will help you in the long run. The whole “drink a glass of water after every drink” thing sounds great in theory, but let’s face it, you’re wearing that sexy skin-tight number and the last thing you want to feel is sloshy!
After the party
* After indulging in one too many cocktails, you’re exhausted and just about making it to your spinning bed. So the last thing you want to do is remove your make-up, BUT do you really want to wake up with stained pillows and an emerging breakout of epic proportions? It’s not going to take forever and you’ll be so glad you did when you wake up.
* Once you’re done cleansing your face, don’t forget to moisturise!
* If you can handle it, before you hit the sheets, try and drink two tall glasses of water with a shot of apple cider vinegar. It’s been shown to help subside headaches, aches and puffiness.
* Finally, sleep with your head slightly elevated to prevent fluid retention. You’ll thank me in the morning!
The morning after
* While still in bed, prop your head up with an additional pillow and use your fingertips to massage your puffy eye area to relieve swelling.
* Whatever you do, don’t take a long hot shower! The hot water will reverse all of your good efforts by making you puff up.
* Put on the make-up to cover up dull skin, and opt for cream blushes, shadows and bronzers to add some dewy lustre back to dull, dry skin. - Daily Voice