Singapore – Sebastian Vettel continued his imperious march towards a fourth consecutive Formula One world championship by storming to pole position at the Singapore Grand Prix on Saturday after dominating the two days of practice.
The Red Bull driver, who is 53 points ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso with seven races remaining, clocked a fastest lap of one minute 42:841 seconds around the floodlit Marina Bay Street Circuit.
The German will be joined on the front row by compatriot Nico Rosberg for Mercedes, who was just 0.091 seconds behind.
The second row for Formula One's only night race will be occupied by Lotus's Romain Grosjean and Vettel's Australian team mate Mark Webber.
Lewis Hamilton will start in fifth place while Alonso languished in seventh, outqualified by Brazilian team mate Felipe Massa. – Reuters
1. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 1:42.841
2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 1:42.932
3. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault 1:43.058
4. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:43.152
5. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 1:43.254
6. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 1:43.890
7. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 1:43.938
8. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1:44.282
9. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:44.439
10. Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari
11. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari 1:44.555
12. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:44.588
13. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus - Renault 1:44.658
14. Sergio Perez (Mexico) McLaren 1:44.752
15. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India - Mercedes 1:45.185
16. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams - Renault 1:45.388
17. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India - Mercedes 1:46.121
18. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams - Renault 1:46.619
19. Charles Pic (France) Caterham - Renault 1:48.111
20. Giedo van der Garde (Netherlands) Caterham - Renault 1:48.320
21. Jules Bianchi (France) Marussia - Cosworth 1:48.830
22. Max Chilton (Britain) Marussia - Cosworth 1:48.930
*1-10: third and final qualifying session
*11-16: second qualifying session
*17-22: first qualifying session