Exorbitant N4 toll fee sparks protest

Comment on this story


IOL mot jan24 swartruggens

Independent Newspapers

File photo: Moeletsi Mabe.

A planned protest at the Swartruggens toll plaza in North West will go ahead on Friday, Cosatu said.

It would go ahead despite hiccups experienced obtaining permission from law enforcement last week, Cosatu North West provincial secretary Solly Phetoe said on Thursday.

Cosatu wanted to hold an overnight protest last week to demand that toll fees be scrapped, or reduced from R71 to R20, for a standard car. While it did not have permission for an overnight protest, it would be allowed to march on Friday, he said.

“We will be marching to the toll gate to demand answers on the memoranda submitted to the department of transport and Sanral to reduce the toll fees, as it put a social burden on to the poor people of the province and the country in general,” Phetoe said.

The march to the toll gate would start at noon from Swartruggens. -Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory