CLOSE X
Advertisement

Possible assault charges for KZN drag racers

Industry news
Durban - The State is yet to decide if it  will prosecute five Durban men accused of assaulting a 33-year-old father after a drag racing incident in Springfield Park last week.

The men were identified and presented with warning statements by police this week after a video of the attack on Kuban Pather circulated on social media.

The five are accused of allegedly assaulting Pather at an Engen garage after he apparently interrupted their drag race by skipping a red traffic light.

Share this story
Cellphone photo shows a group of assailants punching and kicking Pather as he lies on the ground on the forecourt of the garage. Picture: supplied.

Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said a docket for common assault charges had been handed over to the senior public prosecutor for a decision.

The men, who cannot be named because they have not been charged, were identified swiftly after their pictures circulated on social media.

Since the incident, metro police have taken a tough stance on illegal drag racing. This weekend, officers were out in numbers to monitor roads.

Scheduled road blocks were conducted in the Umgeni and Springfield areas. Last weekend, officials impounded 21 modified vehicles in the area.

Metro police spokesperson Superintendent S’bonelo Mchunu confirmed the arrests of three suspects.

He said regular operations of a similar nature would be conducted.

“It was the first time that an operation involving modified cars took place in KZN. I cannot speak for other provinces, but we are being led to believe that this was the first time it has been done in the country. This won’t be the last,” said Mchunu.

“We have been monitoring the situation closely and will be sure to deal with illegal drag racers on our roads.”

Sunday Tribune

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Share this story
Advertisement
X