Congo rebels say in control of border town

Comment on this story


iol news pic DRC flag

.

KINSHASA - Rebels in Congo said on Friday they had seized the eastern town of Bunagana on the border with Uganda after days of fierce fighting with government troops during which a UN peacekeeper was killed and thousands of residents displaced.

More than 2 000 civilians had crossed the border into Uganda the past few days to escape the bloodshed, at least 2 200 more had been uprooted and 600 Congolese soldiers had also fled over the frontier, Ugandan Red Cross and military officials said.

Congo's north Kivu province has been swept by violence since late March after hundreds of ex-rebels defected from the army in support of a rebellious general, Bosco Ntaganda, who is wanted by the international crimes tribunal on war crimes charges.

The mutiny risks dragging the vast, loosely governed central African state back into war and damaging fragile relations with Rwanda, which has repeatedly denied allegations that the rebels are receiving cross-border support.

The resurgence of fighting in eastern Congo has displaced over 200 000 people since April, according to UN estimates.

“The city of Bunagana and its surroundings are now under the control of our forces after a failed counter-offensive against our positions by the government troops,” said Colonel Makenga Sultani, coordinator of the so-called M23 movement.

In a statement, Sultani urged several thousand residents who had fled into Uganda to return home and the UN peacekeeping mission to remain impartial in the conflict.

A spokesman for MONUSCO, the UN mission in mineral-rich Congo, said an Indian UN peacekeeper was killed during heavy fighting on Thursday, but could not confirm whether the rebels had taken the town.

Officials of the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo was not immediately available for comment.

An official of Uganda Red Cross said that more than two thousand people had crossed the border into Uganda in the past few days to escape the intense fighting.

“It (the fighting) was only 40 meters away from our border so the people took off to come to the Ugandan side,” said Kevin Nabutuwa Busima, assistant director of disaster management for the Uganda Red Cross.

Nabutuwa said they received 1 765 new arrivals at the transit camp yesterday and 500 new arrivals on Friday.

“Two thousand-two hundred people are the border entry point on the Uganda side waiting to see how the situation looks in Congo before deciding whether to go back,” he added.

A Ugandan army officer told Reuters the 600 Congo government soldiers who had fled to Uganda had been “disarmed as required and we're processing them for refugee status

“...Also there has been a dramatic surge in civilian refugees in the past few days,” Captain Peter Mugisha said.

Rwanda has denied allegations in a report by UN experts in June that provided the strongest evidence yet that officials of President Paul Kagame's government were providing military and logistical support to armed groups in Congo. – Reuters


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory