Controversial Guinea governor sackedComment on this story
Conakry - The governor of Guinean capital Conakry has been moved from office weeks after threatening protesters that they faced saying goodbye to their loved-ones “for good”, according to a presidential decree seen by AFP on Thursday.
Sekou Resco Camara was blamed for the brutal repression of regular anti-government demonstrations in the city ahead of parliamentary elections last year which left 50 people dead.
“Mr Soriba Sorel Camara, secretary-general of the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock, was appointed Governor of Conakry replacing Commander Sekou Resco Camara, who has been called to other duties”, President Alpha Conde's decree said.
Camara was charged last year for “kidnapping, assault and battery... committed in the exercise of his functions” in 2010 but has yet to face trial.
“He was known for his blunders and bad language vis-à-vis the opposition,” said the mayor of one neighbourhood of Conakry, on condition of anonymity.
One of his workers told AFP the controversial politician “always took upon himself to ban the (demonstration) routes chosen by the opposition or to prohibit any demonstration in the streets of the capital with the exception of supporters of the presidential party”.
But it was his threat in the wake of deadly riots in Conakry in February by protesters angry at chronic power cuts which proved the last straw, according to observers in the capital.
“We'll put all these people in custody (for) even the slightest trouble. Anyone who even tries will be saying goodbye to their families, their children and their wives for good,” he had told a meeting of young activists from the ruling party.