Guinea hunger strikers forced to eat
Demonstrators who went on a hunger strike to protest against last month's massacre in Guinea say they were forced to eat or risked being killed by the military.
Ten demonstrators were freed in Conakry, the capital, on Friday, two days after they were arrested and taken away.
Balde Souleymane said the military had sent them to a restaurant near the junta's headquarters, where they were being held, and had told them to eat or they would be killed.
Wednesday marked the one-month anniversary of a pro-democracy rally where soldiers opened fire on 50 000 protesters and raped women in broad daylight.
A human rights group says 157 people were killed and more than 1 200 wounded. The government put the death toll at 57. - Sapa-AP