Guinea’s opposition withdraws from polls

Comment on this story


Conakry - A spokesperson for Guinea's opposition says that it has withdrawn from the upcoming legislative election set for May 12.

Faya Millimono said the opposition coalition was pulling out to protest against the government's administration of the election procedure.

He said the opposition is unhappy with preparations for the election, especially the selection of a South African company, Waymark, to draw up the list of registered voters.

The company was approved by the National Electoral Commission last week and the opposition immediately protested, saying they suspected the company was open to manipulation by the government.

The election was to solidify the West African country's transition to democratic rule, after rule by the military since 2008.

President Alpha Conde was elected in 2010, but the vote for the legislature has been delayed. - Sapa-AP


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory