Maltese oil worker freed by captors

Comment on this story
iol pic afr VLT07_LIBYA-KIDNAP-MALTA_0728_11 Reuters Maltese kidnap victim Martin Galea talks to the media after arriving from Libya at Malta International Airport, outside Valletta. Picture: Darrin Zammit Lupi

Valletta - A Maltese oil worker abducted by a Libyan militia 11 days ago was released unharmed on Monday and flown back to Malta.

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat welcomed worker Martin Galea on the tarmac at Malta airport and thanked the diplomatic service, the army and the Muslim community in Malta for helping secure his release.

The government said no ransom was paid for Galea's release.

Officials said it was too early to say who had abducted him or why.

Galea said the Maltese consul in Tripoli, Marisa Farrugia, had saved his life. He did not elaborate.

“We will fill in the blanks only after the Security Service has spoken to him. So far what we know for a fact is that he has been released and that was our priority,” a Maltese government official said. - Reuters


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.