An alleged Nigerian terror mastermind is accusing his government of being behind a bombing in which he is to stand trial.
In Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan's office has rejected accusations Henry Okah made in a request for bail in South Africa, where he was arrested and will stand trial for bombings in Nigeria's capital that killed 12 people during 2010 independence celebrations.
Okah's lawyer, Jacques van Greunen, said Monday that Okah's bail request had been delivered to the prosecutor and will be filed with the court Tuesday.
Okah argues he should be free on bail pending trial because he is innocent. Okah says in his bail application that Jonathan's government orchestrated the bombing to eliminate a rival and to fan ethnic tensions for political gain. - Sapa-AP
© 1999 - 2010 Independent Online. All rights strictly reserved.
Independent Online is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independent News & Media. Reliance on the information this site contains is at your own risk.