Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
UN human rights investigators said on Wednesday that Syrian government forces may be responsible for the massacre of more than 100 people, including many women and children, in the area of Houla last month.
“The commission of inquiry is unable to determine the identity of the perpetrators at this time; nevertheless the commission of inquiry considers that forces loyal to the government may have been responsible for many of the deaths,” commission chief Paulo Pinheiro told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
He said it was unlikely that rebel fighters carried out the attack to escalate the conflict and to punish government supporters, as it would have been difficult for them to access the crime scenes.
However, Pinheiro's panel did not rule out that foreign groups supporting anti-government fighters were responsible for the massacre on May 25. - Sapa-dpa