• Search
    Close
  • NEWS
    • Crime & Courts
    • Politics
    • South Africa
    • Africa
    • World
    • Opinion
    • Letters
    • Back Page
    • Matric 2015
    • Special Features
    • MATRIC RESULTS
  • BUSINESS
    • News
    • Budget 2016
    • Personal Finance
    • Companies
    • Startups
    • Markets
    • Indicators
    • International
    • Opinion
    • Leadership
    • Financial Tools
    • WEF
  • SPORT
    • Twenty20
    • Soccer
    • Rugby
    • Cricket
    • athletics
    • more-sport
    • Boxing
    • Tennis
    • Fifa
    • Opinion
    • Cycling
    • Golf
    • Results
  • MOTORING
    • Cars
    • Bikes
    • Special Features
    • Latest Launches
    • Road Tests
    • F1
    • Motorsport
    • Bikes, Quads & Karts
    • 4 x 4
    • Industry News
    • Prices & Specs
  • TONIGHT
    • News
    • TV & Radio
    • Movies
    • Music
    • Gossip
    • Books
    • What's On
    • Fun Stuff
    • Royals
    • Loeries
    • Trevor Noah
    • Jazz Festival
  • LIFESTYLE
    • Love & Sex
    • Health
    • Family
    • Food & Drink
    • Home & Garden
    • Style
    • parenting
    • People
    • Babynet Forum
    • Dating
    • Games
    • GQ
    • WomanOnline
  • TRAVEL
    • News
    • South Africa
    • World
    • Tips
  • SCITECH
    • News
    • Science Forum
    • Technology
    • Science
  • NEWSPAPERS
    • WEATHER
      • CLASSIFIEDS
        • PROPERTY
          • JOBS
            • SHOP ONLINE - LOOT
              • ILISOLEZWE
                • IINDABA
                • EZEMIDLALO
                • EZOYOLO
                • IZIMVO
              • GALLERIES
                • VIDEOS
                  • ABOUT IOL
                    • NEWS
                    • BUSINESS
                    • SPORT
                    • MOTORING
                    • TONIGHT
                    • LIFESTYLE
                    • TRAVEL
                    • SCITECH
                    • NEWSPAPERS
                    • WEATHER
                    • CLASSIFIEDS
                    • PROPERTY
                    • JOBS
                    • SHOP ONLINE - LOOT
                    • ILISOLEZWE
                    • GALLERIES
                    • VIDEOS
                    • ABOUT IOL
                    • MORE
                      • Search
                      Three dead in fresh CAR clashes
                      Credit: AFP
                      A boy lays down on an airplane in the Christian Mpoko refugee camp in 2014, in Bangui, Central African Republic. Picture: Fred Dufour
                      user nameBy: Tom Esslemont

                      Three dead in fresh CAR clashes

                      news/africa / 
                      09 November 2015 at 21:57pm
                      By: Tom Esslemont

                      Bambari, Central African Republic - Clashes between fighters in Central African Republic killed at least three people and wounded five on Monday, a U.N. official and an aid worker said, amid intensifying violence in the country.

                      The latest fighting centred in and around the town of Bambari, much of it controlled for the last year by the Union for Peace in Central Africa (UPC), a faction of the former Seleka rebel alliance.

                      Central African Republic was plunged into sectarian violence when the mostly Muslim rebel group briefly seized power in the predominantly Christian country in early 2013, prompting a wave of reprisals by the anti-balaka militia. U.N. and French peacekeeping forces have failed to restore calm.

                      “Two people were killed during the fighting in a village 10 kilometres (6 miles) away (from Bambari) and one other died of his injuries,” a U.N. official said on condition of anonymity.

                      The dead were members of the UPC, its spokesman told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

                      Witnesses said their deaths triggered more widespread violence in Bambari with gunmen opening fire in the town, burning houses and sending hundreds of people running for cover.

                      They said anti-balaka forces descended into Bambari on foot, opening fire as UPC fighters roamed the streets on motorbikes while U.N. peacekeepers attempted to restore calm.

                      Successive waves of fighting have forced at least 360,000 people from their homes across Central African Republic with up to 40,000 displaced in Bambari alone, according to U.N. figures.

                      Many in Bambari have found temporary shelter near churches, disused factories or near the bases of the U.N. peacekeeping force, known as MINUSCA.

                      “This is the worst violence we have seen in Bambari since the end of September,” said Nicolas Peissel, field coordinator for medical charity Médecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in Ouaka province, where Bambari is situated.

                      The sound of gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades reverberated around the town, whose buildings, many of them destroyed by recent clashes, lie among overgrown plants and weeds.

                      Earlier in the day dozens of Muslims had marched through Bambari, protesting against the proposed rearmament of the country's fractured armed forces which many distrust.

                      “It is in heated moments like this when people have least access to medical support because they feel unsafe to seek help,” said Peissel, whose team was assisting the wounded in Bambari's only functioning hospital.

                      “We have no idea where different rival groups will place themselves in the coming days meaning access to the hospital is not assured for those who need it most,” Peissel said.

                      Last Friday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was deeply concerned by worsening violence in the Central African Republic.

                      It said since the end of September dozens of people had been killed and hundreds more wounded in the capital Bangui.

                      “Several hundred sick children and pregnant women have been unable to reach clinics or maternity hospitals,” said the regional director of ICRC operations in Africa, Patricia Danzi, in a statement.

                      “Thousands of families are destitute, their homes having been burnt down and their livelihoods destroyed. They are living in a constant state of fear.”

                      ICRC urged all parties to the conflict to spare civilians, their schools, houses and medical facilities.

                      Reuters

                      * Use our Facebook and Twitter pages to comment on our stories. See links below.

                      IOL on Twitter

                      IOL News on Facebook

                      Get our free IOL newsletters - subscribe here...

                      linkto classic site


                      Special Features

                      • #TheDignityProject
                      • #IAmAWorker
                      • #RacismStopsWithMe

                      Most Read

                      • Kenya burns world’s biggest ivory stockpile
                      • Mozambique refutes mass grave story
                      • South Sudan to appoint new cabinet
                      • Burkina Faso revokes Campaore arrest warrant
                      • UN 'alarmed' by Renamo in Mozambique

                      Front Page

                      • Blade comments on new federation
                      • 454 kids murdered in single year - study
                      • Punter to battle site for his R5.84m winnings
                      • UN 'alarmed' by Renamo in Mozambique
                      • Qaeda after bin Laden - down but not out

                      Editor's Choice

                      • Independent Media defends decision not to run Oakbay ads
                      • Storm cloud gathers over R21 000 'tip'
                      • Police raid plush Umhlanga brothel
                      • An intolerable outcome for Zuma
                      • #IAmAWorker: Celebrating SA’s workers

                      MORE news/africa

                      AFRICA
                      Afonso Dhlakama, leader of Renamo.
                      UN 'alarmed' by Renamo in Mozambique

                      The UN says it has received “worrying information” about armed clashes in Mozambique between national security forces and members of Renamo.

                      2 hours ago
                      AFRICA
                      Firemen stand by at the ready as pyres of ivory are set on fire in Nairobi National Park, Kenya. Picture: AP Photo/ Ben Curtis
                      Kenya burns world’s biggest ivory stockpile

                      President Kenyatta set ablaze 105 tons of ivory and 1.35 tons of rhino horn as a sign that Kenya does not tolerate wildlife poaching.

                      7 hours ago
                      AFRICA
                      Government military police patrol the streets of Gorongosa in central Mozambique, ahead of local government elections in 2013. REUTERS/Grant Lee Neuenburg
                      Mozambique refutes mass grave story

                      Mozambique says a shocking story about a mass grave containing 120 bodies that had been uncovered in the central district ...

                      1 day ago
                      AFRICA
                      File picture: Flickr.com
                      Morocco arrests 3 Islamic State suspects

                      Authorities say the suspects received instructions from IS leaders to establish an emirate in the north of the kingdom.

                      2 days ago
                      AFRICA
                      President Salva Kiir, right, delivers a statement as former rebel leader and new vice-president Riek Machar listens during a ceremony at the Presidential House in Juba. Picture: Charles Lomodong/ AFP
                      South Sudan ‘forms unity government’

                      South Sudan President Salva Kiir has reportedly named his transitional unity government, sharing power with ex-rebels.

                      2 days ago
                      AFRICA
                      Gunmen ‘kill 5’ in Burundi bar attack

                      Gunmen in trenchcoats burst into a bar firing at drinkers in Bujumbura killing five, police said.

                      2 days ago
                      AFRICA
                      Burkina Faso revokes Campaore arrest warrant

                      A court of appeals in Burkina Faso has reportedly rescinded a series of international arrest warrants, including those against Blaise Compaore.

                      2 days ago
                      AFRICA
                      A special unit of wildlife rangers demonstrate an anti-poaching exercise ahead of the Giants Club Summit of African leaders and others on tackling poaching of elephants and rhinos, Ol Pejeta conservancy near the town of Nanyuki, Laikipia County. Picture: Reuters/ Siegfried Modola
                      Leaders, conservationists tackle poaching crisis

                      The future of Africa's elephants and rhinos depends on the ability of the continent's nations to battle together against ...

                      2 days ago