Two schools razed in NigeriaComment on this story
A group of gunmen razed two schools in Bauchi state, northern Nigeria, where Boko Haram gunmen previously attacked a girls' school, a police spokesman said on Thursday.
Dozens of gunmen in cars and on motorcycles stormed the neighbouring villages of Shadarki and Yelwan Darazo, setting two primary schools ablaze, one in each village, said officer Haruna Mohammed.
“The attackers came in a group of around 30 and set fire to Shadarki Primary school before proceeding to Yelwan Darazo where they also burnt another primary school and a telecoms mast.”
No one was hurt in the attacks, which happened at about 11pm (22h00 GMT) on Wednesday when the schools were empty, he added.
None of the gunmen was arrested and Mohammed declined to say if the attackers were from Boko Haram, which has carried out deadly attacks in the area.
Boko Haram, which translates from the Hausa language spoken widely in north Nigeria as “Western education is forbidden”, has destroyed hundreds of schools in the north-east in the past two years.
Scores of students have been killed in their dormitories in a series of school raids and on April 14, 276 girls were abducted from their school in the remote town of Chibok in north-eastern Borno state.
A total of 223 are still missing and are the subject of an international rescue mission after global outrage fuelled by a social media campaign.
On April 20, scores of suspected Boko Haram Islamists burnt down the teachers accommodation in a girls boarding school in Yana village in the same area but left the around 200 students unharmed. - Sapa-AFP