UN warns M23 against resurgence in DRCComment on this story
United Nations, United States - The United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo will not “tolerate” a resurgence of the M23 rebel group, the top UN official there said Monday.
In a statement to the Security Council, the UN Special Representative in the DRC cited “credible reports that the military recruitment of the M23 did not cease” after a December peace deal.
“There are also credible reports of emerging M23 activities in Ituri in northeastern Congo,” Martin Kobler said.
“We should tolerate no military reemergence of the M23,” He said, referring to the latest incarnation of an ethnic Tutsi rebellion.
The group laid down its arms in early November after an offensive by government troops backed by a special UN brigade.
Kobler insisted there can be “no roll back on what has been achieved so far.”
And he urged “the governments of Uganda and Rwanda to do everything possible to prevent M23 elements from sheltering or training troops on their territory.”
UN experts have accused Kigali and Kampala of giving military aid to the M23, which both countries have denied.
Kobler also encouraged: “Congolese forces to do more and to intensify joint planning and execution of operations against the FDLR,” a Rwandan rebel group that includes the remnants of the Hutu militia which carried out Rwanda's 1994 genocide.
After clearing several FDLR positions, Kobler said, the UN mission in DR Congo is preparing further operations.
“The (FDLR) leadership must be left with no choice other than surrender,” he insisted, recalling that this is the 20th anniversary since the genocide.
Kobler also said that “military actions against the ADF are expected soon,” naming another armed group active in eastern DR Congo.