The affordable education loan option
Cairo - The US State Department said on Wednesday night that it would suspend US military aid provided to Egypt until “credible progress” had been made towards free and fair elections.
After a review by authorities of August's crackdown on supporters of former President Mohamed Morsi, which left hundreds dead, the US said it would suspend a large part of the $1.3bn (£810m) it provides to Egypt in weapons systems and cash.
Morsi will go on trial on November 4 on charges of inciting the killing of opponents while he was in office, an Egyptian court announced on Wednesday.
He was ousted on July 3 and has been held at an unknown location ever since, though he was visited by the European Union's foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, and an African Union delegation.
Fourteen other members of the Muslim Brotherhood will be tried along with Mr Morsi. The Cairo Appeals Court named judge Ahmed Sabry Youssef to preside over the trial, Egypt's state news agency, Mena, said.
Lawyer Mostafa Atteyah said a meeting of Morsi's defence team was planned on Wednesday to decide on a course of action.
He said so far the legal team has not seen the case documents.
“This is like all the other cases. It is a fabricated one,” Atteyah said.
He said Islamist scholar and former presidential candidate Salim al-Awa is expected to lead the defence team. - The Independent