Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Police have reopened the investigation into the abduction and murder of 10-year-old Marissa Naidoo in September 2005.
Lieutenant-Colonel Katlego Mogale said on Monday the investigation was reopened last week after a complaint from Marissa's father, Lings Naidoo.
“The provincial office detectives are investigating the case as well as the allegations made. Naidoo has made contact with the office of (deputy provincial commissioner) Major-General Tebello Mosikili and is being assisted,” Mogale said in a statement.
“There were some leads that were not properly followed initially and that is being corrected.”
The kidnapped girl's body was found in a suitcase on September 18, 2005 after she was taken from the Benoni Primary School on September 15. Her kidnapper phoned her father and demanded a R500 000 ransom.
A North Rand detective task team's investigation led them to a flat in Radio City, Princess Road, Benoni. They forced their way into the flat and a man, in his late 30s, tried to evade arrest by jumping from a third floor balcony. He was critically injured and died soon afterwards. He was later identified as 37-year-old Raveen Rampersadh.
It appeared that Marissa Naidoo suffocated to death. – Sapa