Accused ‘has no knowledge of attack’Comment on this story
Johannesburg - André Jordaan fell as the steel bullet connected with his flesh.
The 50-year-old got up and another bullet hit him and he collapsed a second time.
The men then ransacked his house. Jordaan was shot trying to protect his daughters-in-law from armed assailants who had stormed his Muldersdrift home.
He was taken to Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, where he died two days later.
On Monday, in the South Gauteng High Court sitting in the Palm Ridge Court, as his lawyer relayed the dramatic events of the day Jordaan and his family were attacked,
Alfter Zwane – one of the accused in the case – kept his head down.
Asked whether he was one of the attackers, the 29-year-old said: “I have no knowledge of that.”
Zwane, Samson Mandlezi and Manir Lubisi are accused of a reign of terror in Muldersdrift, during which Jordaan, Allysa Botha, 13, and many others were shot and killed. Many others were robbed. Fearing for their lives, many residents left the area.
Among the charges the three Mozambicans face are robbery with aggravating circumstances, housebreaking with an intent to rob, three counts of attempted murder, two counts of murder, and the unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition.
It was revealed last year that Mandlezi had made a confession to the police in which he implicated himself and the others.
However, in court, the trio alleged they were assaulted after their arrest and forced to admit to the crimes. A trial-within-a-trial was held and the three were found to have not been telling the truth about the assaults.
Mandlezi’s confession was read out in court on Monday.
In it, the 25-year-old said he, Zwane, Lubisi and another man called Usando left Diepsloot around 4pm on September 9, 2012 and went to Muldersdrift. Their intention was to steal, he said.
At a Muldersdrift plot, they saw two white men sitting outside the house and drinking. He said Usando and one of the other men were carrying guns, and when the two men saw them, they fled.
“One ran away and the other got into the house. Usando followed the one who ran into the house, and Zwane, Lubisi and I took the plasma TV. Zwane also took the phones and the alcohol.
“The man who ran into the house took out a gun and exchanged shots with Usando. We ran away as the shots were fired.”
Mandlezi said they fled to a bridge, where they put the stolen goods and then returned to the plots. They went to another house, where they opened the door with a screwdriver and took a TV, a bicycle, a schoolbag with clothes and a DVD player.
Those were also taken to the spot under the bridge. While they were sleeping there, the police arrested them.
It is not known who Usando is or whether he actually exists. Police have not been able to find him.
The case continues.