ANC condemns spate of child murdersComment on this story
Johannesburg - The African National Congress on Monday condemned the recent spate of child murders.
“This growing and inexplicable phenomenon which targets the helpless and innocent has no justification and place in our society,” spokesman Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.
“Let us identify and isolate the culprits who perpetuate such acts and report them to law enforcement agencies for successful prosecution.”
However, the ANC discouraged people from taking the law into their own hands.
Earlier this month, a three-year-old boy died after being caught in the cross-fire during a shooting in Westbury, Johannesburg.
Luke Tibbetts had been on life support machines in hospital since the shooting on August 2. He died six days later.
Lindray Khakhu was arrested for allegedly shooting Tibbetts, while Keenan Mokwena, who was also shot and wounded in the incident was arrested on Wednesday.
Both would appear in the Newlands Magistrate's Court in Sophiatown on August 12.
Last month, four-year-old Taegrin Morris died after being dragged for a long distance behind a hijacked car in Reiger Park, Boksburg.
The boy was travelling in a Citi Golf with his mother, father, and sister when the family was approached by three men. He was then dragged along, hanging outside the car door by his safety belt.
A six-year-old girl and her aunt were found dead in their home in Rosedale, Hankey, in the Eastern Cape on August 3. It was believed the girl was strangled, police said.
Seven men were expected to appear in the Hankey Magistrate's Court on Monday.
The ANC said special attention needed to be given to such crimes and there needed to be speedy prosecution.
“We also call on government to strengthen gun control measures as illegal guns are increasingly used for a variety of crime and lawlessness,” said Kodwa.
“We believe that strong control of gun ownership will go a long way in ensuring that such crimes are curbed.”