Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - The ANC's elective conference in its Port St John's sub-region has been abandoned for a second time because of violence, it was reported on Tuesday.
The Dispatch Online reported that some of the delegates were allegedly beaten up and pepper-sprayed during the conference at the weekend.
Mlamli Ndabeni, the sub-region’s secretary, confirmed that it was decided on Sunday to adjourn the conference.
He denied reports that shots were fired and that private security guards were hired to keep order, and said internal security in the form of ANC marshals was used.
“Yes, I was told that shots were afired, but that is not true. We couldn’t find [evidence] to that effect,” he told the Dispatch Online.
Ndabeni said the commotion took place outside the conference hall when people wanted to forcefully enter.
The conference had been postponed until Wednesday.
Last month, the Dispatch Online reported that the same conference had to be adjourned after it was marred by chaotic scenes when it was discovered that at least three of the branches had been excluded from the sub-region’s credentials report.