Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Rustenburg - The ANC North West has officially suspended the membership of murder accused MEC China Dodovu, the party said on Friday.
“The provincial working committee (PWC)... resolved to temporarily suspend the membership of comrade China Dodovu, our deputy chairperson,” said acting provincial secretary Gordon Kegakilwe.
Dodovu's suspension was decided at a special meeting of the provincial disciplinary committee after criminal charges were laid against two members of the committee and an ANC councillor.
Dodovu, who was the local government and traditional affairs MEC, had already been suspended from the ANC's provincial executive committee.
He was released on bail of R20,000 on Tuesday after his arrest, with seven others, in connection with the murder of ANC regional secretary Obuti Chika.
Chika, 33, was shot in the driveway of his Klerksdorp home on December 14. He died in a local hospital.
Kegakilwe said the PWC had reflected on the implications of African National Congress leaders facing criminal charges and had re-affirmed its position to “safeguard core values of the movement”.
Any charges against leaders could potentially damage the image of the ANC, he said.
Dodovu claimed on Wednesday a smear campaign was being conducted against him.
“My arrest can only point to an unholy alliance between some ANC leaders, the police and the prosecution,” he told reporters in Johannesburg.
Paul Sebegoe has since been appointed acting MEC for local government and traditional affairs in the North West.
Dodovu and his co-accused are scheduled to appear in court again in April.
The other accused are: North West provincial ANC Youth League chairman Papiki Baboile, ward secretary Paul Molomonyane, councillor Itumeleng Molebatsi, municipal worker William Malefo, taxi driver Kgotso Kali, and community members Sihlangu Sekhakhane and Jeffrey Letuka. - Sapa