Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
The National Investigation Unit has swooped on another SA Receiver of Revenue (Sars) official and two more suspects.
This was after they allegedly robbed a Chinese businessman at his Moreleta Park home in Pretoria.
The three were arrested on Tuesday night, bringing the number of arrests since last October to 14.
The syndicate operating in Gauteng allegedly produce fake search warrants from Sars, and its members were sometimes accompanied by police.
SAPS national spokesman Solomon Makgale said the trio had parked their vehicle at a local petrol station and took a taxi to the victim’s home, which is situated in a security complex in Moreleta Park.
They arrived at the complex, went straight to the businessman’s house, where they knocked on the door and introduced themselves as Sars officials.
The Sars official was dressed in his customs and excise uniform, while one of the other suspects wore a Sars custom’s bib.
“Unbeknown to them, the police, who had already been tipped off, opened the door and arrested them on the spot. One of the men tried to escape, but was chased and rearrested 75m from the complex,” Makgale said.
The police then took the suspects to where they had parked their vehicle and recovered a pellet gun that resembled a 9mm pistol, according to Makgale.
They also found R7 000, mostly in hundred rand notes, dyed notes as well as Sars documents.
“The police also confiscated the uniform from the Sars employee and the Sars bib from his accomplice,” Makgale said.
The suspects have been charged with robbery and are in custody.
They were expected to appear in the Pretoria Regional Court on Thursday.
Makgale said police had also discovered that one of the suspects was facing other charges of impersonating a Sars official, possession of a police appointment certificate and fraud.
He was arrested in Bronkhorstspruit and had been released on bail after appearing in court, Makgale said.