Attack on cricketer recalled in court

Comment on this story
Jeremy Hindley INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS Jeremy Hindley and his wife Vanessa. Jeremy witnessed an attack on cricket official Luke Fairweather. Photo: Jade Witten

“Pull it, pull it then, pull it,” were the only words Jeremy Hindley heard when he witnessed an attack on cricket official Luke Fairweather outside Newlands Cricket grounds, the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court heard on Thursday.

Hindley, a close friend of Fairweather, was testifying during an inquest into 49-year-old Fairweather’s death. Fairweather died after an argument over parking with long-serving traffic officer, Ian Robert Sinclair, in January last year.

Sinclair had issued a parking ticket to Fairweather’s mother, Margaret, who had parked illegally while waiting to collect her son and Hindley after a match.

Fairweather, who was an official of the Alma Marist Cricket Club and manager of a Western Province junior team, was shot in the abdomen.

While Sinclair, 59 of Goodwood, was charged with murder, the State withdrew the charges on September 27 last year.

A formal inquest is being held to determine the cause of Fairweather’s death and whether anyone could be held responsible. The inquest continues on August 27.

[email protected]

Cape Argus

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines