Cape Town - The bail application of a man accused of raping a nine-year-old girl in Delft and setting her alight was delayed in the Bellville District Court on Tuesday morning.
Prosecutor Clifford Moatlhodi said the investigating officer had told him the docket was still at the director of public prosecution's office in Cape Town.
He would have to fetch the docket before the 27-year-old man's bail application could proceed.
“The fact is that this matter was postponed on May 8 already. Why was nothing done to get the docket?” Magistrate Cyril Krautz asked.
The prosecutor replied the investigating officer was only instructed to do so earlier on Tuesday.
Krautz said the matter would stand down until 2pm.
The man, who may not be named until he pleads to the charges, previously abandoned a bail application.
He was arrested on January 19. Initially, he faced charges of abduction, sexual assault, rape, and attempted murder. Because the victim died from her burns in hospital on March 18, the attempted murder charge was changed to murder.
The man was being held at Goodwood prison. He previously complained of being assaulted. For his safety, the court ordered that he be kept in solitary confinement and under medical observation. - Sapa