Sasolburg - Thirty-four people accused of public violence and malicious damage to property were released on bail by the Sasolburg Magistrate's Court on Monday, Free State police said.
They were each granted R1000 bail. They would be back in court on March 14, Colonel Motantsi Makhele said.
They arrested last week Monday and Tuesday, during violent protests against the proposal to merge the Metsimaholo local municipality in Sasolburg with the Ngwathe municipality, under which Parys falls.
More than 200 people were arrested during the protest.
“Most of them are scheduled to appear in court this week. They will be making bail applications,” he said.
Four people were killed during the protests. Several others, including two police officers, were injured. - Sapa